Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thai Lasagna

Thai Lasagna
I’d been craving lasagna, so had just bought the supplies I needed. But when I was at the Thai grocery store recently to restock on curry paste (after a dinner plan of cooking up eggplant and greens with curry paste and some soy sauce was derailed but the lack of both curry paste and soy sauce) I saw these:
Fresh Rice Noodles
and realized that I could make Thai lasagna. The basic concept was to use the rice noodles as lasagna noodles, coconut milk with one kind of curry paste in place of tomato sauce, and the layers of toppings would be seitan, tofu, and broccoli, each with a different type of curry paste. In the end, I realized that would be silly since I’d end up with several open cans of curry paste, so I just went with green curry for the seitan, and Kaeng Par for the tofu and coconut milk “sauce” that I put on each layer of noodles.

This came out really well, although very spicy and salty, so I ended up taking the leftover rice noodles and broccoli and cooking them up “plain” so we could mix that with the lasagna for a more normal tasting meal.

For ingredients, there were 3 packs of seitan (cooked in a bit of peanut oil, 1/6 can of coconut milk, and most of a can of green curry), 1 pound of tofu (cooked in the same amount of peanut oil and coconut milk, and a bit of Kaneg Par curry instead of green curry), 1 bunch of broccoli (just sautéed in a little bit of peanut oil), and a pack of rice noodles (I used the other 2/3 of the can of coconut milk, mixed with the rest of the Kaeng Par curry to go on each layer of rice noodles). Here's a "side view" showing the layering:
Thai Lasagna