Monday, November 14, 2011

Arugula Salad w/ Tempeh, Seared Apples & Onions, Candied Nuts, and Pear Cider Dressing


Normally we have a pretty strict policy of having Sarah as the household Salad Director, but with her being so busy with class I’ve been doing most of the cooking and shopping. When I got a great deal on arugula at the farmer’s market, I couldn’t resist trying my own.
Salad
The starting point was arugula (4 small bunches) and a medium bag of broccoli micro greens from the farmer’s market). For toppings, I bought 2 gold rush apples (sliced and chopped and cooked in a nonstick skillet), one onion (caramelized in a skillet with a bit of olive oil and some pear cider), a package of tempeh (seared in the nonstick skillet with a bit of soy and more pear cider), and some walnuts and pecans that I cooked with maple syrup, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper until crystallized and dry. The dressing was olive oil, pear cider, Dijon mustard, and sage. I made the toppings the night before, so assembling the salad ended up being pretty easy!